Monday, June 6, 2011

Valspar Opal Slate!!!

I went on a painting rampage for a few weeks after moving in, but we've (the kids and I) needed to settle down into a routine so we wouldn't go crazy, and a normal routine doesn't really include painting.  There was one last project Jonathan and I needed to get done, and we saved the last bit of our budgeted "house" money for it: The Reading Room.

Here is the "right before painting" photo:
As you can see there are several paint possibilities on the wall ranging from a deep purple, deep burgundy, the usual gray-greens and then Valspar's Bleached Shadow, which I used in my master bath, and Valspar's Opal Slate 4001-1C.  You may also notice the many scraps of border that were finally scraped off the wall scattered around baby toys.  Yes, we finally finished getting that border off.  It's about as fun and painting window trim.  Blah.  So on to the painting pictures.

Notice the brand new bedding on the bed.

I really loved the color in my masterbathroom, but it was too warm in the Reading Room.  Opal Slate is the color right above Bleached Shadow; it's cooler and would theoretically work better in this East facing room.  I loved the contrast against the white trim on the windows and baseboard.  I thought it would be both a good choice for the lighting in the room and hopefully would appear to be a strong masculine choice, because my husband requested that the Reading Room be a little more masculine than our bedroom (Rainwashed with white "furniture").

The Reading Room is our baby napping room, library, and guest room.  We've had two sets of visitors since we finished the room, which is precisely why we had to finish it.  Thanks to some friends we were able to stick a full-size bed in it for adults, not just babies, you know?  It totally rocks now.

Isn't the color rich?


I love the color on the walls.


Black coverlet, black accent pillows, gray walls...that's pretty masculine, right?
I'd love to get a bright red or blue blanket to throw on the end of the bed eventually, but all in all it's a pretty cozy and peaceful room. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, I came across your blog while searching for rooms painted with "Opal Slate." I realize this post is about 9 years old, so if you are still active in your blog, I am just curious to know how you like the color? I am considering using it in my master bedroom, which is north facing and has pretty ample natural light. My concern is that it will be too dark, but I have light bedding and hoping the artwork I put on the walls will help the lighter colors "pop" against the opal slate color. Thanks for taking the time to put this post up, and I appreciate any help you can offer!

    ReplyDelete