Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Lowe's Olympic One Paint, in Sherwin Williams Aleutian (SW 6241)

So I've had great experiences with Valspar's Ultra Premium line.  My family has used Olympic paint and hated it.  So, needless to say, I went to Lowe's and asked the paint guy for a quart of Valspar's bathroom paint, in Sherwin William's Aleutian (SW 6241).  The paint guy convinced me to try Olympic's new product, "One," which is a paint + primer.



It was a very very humid day.  I would dare say that the night was sultry.  I had to wipe Mission-Impossible drops of sweat from my forehead and eyes as I maneuvered around the not-large bathroom. 

I do not know if the terrible painting weather was to blame for the only annoying thing about the paint.  In places where I accidentally brushed over still tacky spots, the paint lifted off completely.  However, it had incredible hide.  See picture below.

These are the paint samples (So deep the middle and left colors had to be tinted in Valspar's "Signature Colors," which almost immediately negated them from contention due to our previous experience with Signature Colors, but they matched the shower curtain perfectly...) which were already on the wall.  I painted over the colors first. 

There was complete coverage where I didn't streak with the brush/edger.  Here is a look at the second coat. 

It's still wet in this photo, but I think it shows how completely it hid the dark colors beneath.

Still wet in these pictures, but close to the dry color.
I'm really happy with the results and up for trying the paint again, when it isn't so humid.  As soon as the spots that had accidentally been lifted were dry, one roll over them rectified the issues.  The hide was solid. 

I really love the color even though it doesn't match the curtain perfectly.  I think it meshes well, and it definitely channels "cottage" colors as it is almost perwinkle, but not quite purple enough for that.  Yay!  Almost done painting all the rooms in the house!

No comments:

Post a Comment