Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Enchanted Navy

I hate posting these photos of unfinished rooms, but if I don't, I'll be waiting a long long time to post photos.  : / 

So, the boys' room was one of the first we painted.  I chose Valspar's Enchanted Navy (4010-8), because I wanted a dark blue that wasn't too bright and not too dull. (The older boy wanted a black room, but we weren't quite ready for that.)  It's rather lovely.  It doesn't kill your eyes when you walk in the room, and it doesn't wear you down if you're hangning out in there. 


I had it mixed in the Valspar Signature Colors Paint and used the Valspar tintable primer.  I was really disappointed in the performance. (I was very happy with the Valspar Ultra Premium we used in our room.)  We painted according to directions, before we moved in.  The day after painting the walls, with a full 24 hour dry time, we found that our fingers left chalky white lines if we touched the walls, as pictured below.  Lame. 


I spoke with the Valspar rep at Lowe's a few days later, when I went to return the paint and primer because touching the walls still left marks.  Essentially he said that paint that dark would take up to a full month to cure and we should avoid touching it until then.  He never mentioned anything like that when I bought the paint, and regardless, I've never ever had that kind of experience with any dark paint.  Lowe's gave me a full refund. 

A month later we're still getting marks, but not as bad as the first.  Aside from the chalky lines, it really is a rich, wonderful blue.  Can't wait to finish the whole room!  

No comments:

Post a Comment