Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Decoratoritis

I have an irritating, inflamed case of Decoratoritis.  I noticed the first symptoms when J and I decided that we should try to paint the entire house before we moved in.  My darling MIL and I convinced J that paint would really change the feel of the house and would be a relatively inexpensive facelift. 

That's green glass in those cupboard doors...


Yes, that's orange carpet.
(J's really not fond of the older styling of our 1966 home.) 

This house is over two times bigger than our current home.  So that's a lot of paint.  And I'm not a white paint kind of girl.  I L-O-V-E color.  I look at a fan deck and longingly wish I had a house with four wings and 100 rooms, so I could paint them all different colors.  There are soo many beautiful colors!

I may not have 100 rooms, but I will have more than twice as many than I have now, and I get to do whatever I want with them.  How do you choose colors for all those rooms?  Certainly not by starting with a fan deck.  No, you start with things that will go in the rooms, and coordinate the colors so the room is all cohesive and comfortable together.  But what if you don't have furniture or art or curtains yet?  Then what? 

This is where my Decoratoritis has really kicked in.  And when I said it was irritating, I meant it's irritating J.  (Buying this house is only less expensive than renting if we don't go crazy filling it up and changing it.  I have to keep reminding myself...)  I have purchased about four sets of curtains, new bedding (we are getting a new bed, a CA King so my tall love doesn't have to sleep diagonally to fit on the bed), accent pillows, art and art supplies.  I've purchased paint samples, which I'll get to in a later blog post, and so much posterboard.  I know there are more things...I've spent a lot of time shopping online and in store. 

And that brings me to my Goodwill haul today.  We stopped at Goodwill because we had a long grocery shopping trip ahead of us, and I wanted to get the kids some new books to read while we wound our way through the supermarket aisles.  (By the way, Goodwill, I do not think 99 cents is a good deal for a used kids' chapter book, even though it is better than paying full price.)  But I can't go into Goodwill without browsing the homegoods section.  That's where I found these:


Three 2-foot long crown molding ledges from Pottery Barn, a cool corner shelf for O's room, a mirror with shelf for S1 and S2's room and a silver platter for me somewhere.  Maybe I'll return that silver platter.  All of it for a mere $17, plus some tax.


The ledges were the best part, because they were the "best" deal.  I paid $4 each for them.  Regular price:

SCORE!
I'm not really sure where I'm going to use these, but there are so many possibilities.  I could use them in the kids' den for their toys, books and art, any of the kids' bedrooms for the same, the dining room to display cookbooks (which I don't actually have), living room for art, etc.

O and I sanded the cool corner shelf tonight.  We're going to prime and paint it in the next few days.  I plan to do that to the mirror shelf and possibly the ledges as well.  It depends on what rooms I decide they'll go in and what colors I decide to paint those rooms.  I can't wait to paint!!!!  I had to buy these things just so I could paint something!!! 

Decoratoritis is deep in my bones.  It has taken over my mind.  I can't go an hour without thinking about paint and accents and furniture...and it's soooooo much FUN...

No comments:

Post a Comment